HDD failure with LVM on FC3

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 17:05:42 UTC 2005

Hi folks.

I've got an FC3 system with default disk layout using LVM on a 40GB disk
(IDE primary master) to which I added a second 40GB disk (primary
slave) afterwards.

How when I boot everything's fine up to and including loading the LVM
details a the 2 volumes it contains.  I then get an error about not
being able to find the superblock and then that the ext3-fs cannout be
mounted.

Initd is then killed after a kernel panic.

Can anyone point me to a HOWTO on how to sort this out. I would *like*
to get the system working again, but would at least like to recover as
much data as possible.

With a normal 'native' ext3 fs on a single HDD I'd simply put this into
another working FC3 system and try to fix it form there.  Can I still
do this with a LVM setup?

Are there any LVM tools to help tell me which drive is faulty, or help
me recover the contents?

Any and all help welcomed.

Gary
--