Odd X problem with FC4

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 20:49:17 UTC 2005

On 7/8/05, Alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> Every once in a while when using Firefox or Mozilla, X stops responding
> to any input.  The mouse cursor moves, but is stuck in whatever form it
> was in when it got stuck.  I can shutdown without problem. (Using the
> power key.)  Keyboard input does not work.
>
> I am not certain what is going wrong here.  I cannot find anything
> in /var/log/messages that would indicate the cause.
>
> I am using the x86_64 version of FC4.  I am using the nVIDIA commercial
> driver.  (I have to if I want to use the console again without rebooting
> or have any graphic speed at all.)

This is a known bug.  Unfortunately, since it only seems to occur when
using the proprietary nvidia driver, there's no way for the xorg
maintainers to troubleshoot it.

The good news is that you can avoid the bug by turning of
"RenderAccel" in your xorg.conf file.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves