Recommendations for optimal disk ussage?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Jul 8 22:23:08 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 08.07.2005 schrieb Andy Pieters um 23:51:

> I am going to choose the option clean install for the Fedora Core 4 official
> dvd release.
>
> What can you recommend for partitioning?

Some recommendations

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html#S2-DISKPARTRECOMMEND

> I have heard about placing the /home on a seperate partition

That is a good idea as is simplifies future release upgrades.

> I have two harddisks of unequal size, and up until now I have been using them
> as RAID0
>
> How about swap space?  If I say 10%M of total  available space, then that's
> still 300Mb!  Is that too much/ too little?  RAM on this station is 1Gb

The swap space recommendation was in the past 2 times as much as
available RAM. Nowadays with so much RAM like 1GB it is ok to use much
less swap, 500MB up to 1GB should be ok.

> Also, RAID0 does that mean that if one fails, everything's lost?  Or can I
> maybe recover something?  Is there something that enables me to mount two
> harddisks as one but still works if one of them fails (without sacrificing
> disk space, that is)

RAID0 means that if 1 disk fails all data is lost, no way to recover
lost data. Use RAID1 which means mirroring 2 partitions at the cost of
the storage space of 1 partition (2 partitions of 100GB in RAID1 setup
are 100GB available space on the array). RAID5 costs less space but
requires at least 3 disk drives.

> Andy

Alexander

Serendipity 00:10:42 up 13 days, 7:02, load average: 0.19, 0.24, 0.21