simple ping; pinging 101

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Jul 9 01:43:13 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 7/6/05, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>The real question here is what are you trying to do?

> looking at
> <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO/intro.html>
>
> I've changed the IP addresses as follows:
>
> arrakis eth0	123.12.23.43

   arrakis eth0  192.168.1.1

would have suffuced....

> arrakis eth1	192.168.0.1
> caladan eth0	192.168.0.2

Connect arrakis eth1 and caladan eth0 to the hub only.  If you've done
it right, you should be able to ping both machines from each other....

> to be able connect arrakis eth0 to the hub, ping caladan, disconnect
> arrakis eth0 from the hub, connect arrakis eth1 to the hub, ping
> caladan, repeat..
>
> to do do that, is a default gateway required?

No, worry about the default gateway (and forwarding) after your local
subnet is working.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com