Can't Configure System Settings Anymore

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Sat Jul 9 04:36:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:43:30 -0700, Rashan Jibowu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currenlty using the GNOME environment in FC4.
> Before doing a recent package installation of certain
> applications and installing the kernel source, I was
> able to click on Desktop --> System Settings -->
> [Anything] and a GUI would come up so that I can edit
> system settings for whatever I clicked on. I can no
> longer do this.
>
> I am particularly worried because I can't open
> Add/Remove Applications, which could potentially be
> used to re-install missing applications or fix broken
> stuff.
>
> Can someone please help? How can I get the programs
> under "System Settings" to work again?

I've had similar problems. After fresh installation I think I was able to
configure everything from the gui config tools, then I noticed
system-config-network won't write out the files properly, nor would
system-config-securitylevel. Probably others too. Luckily I've been using
RedHat since 5.0, and I can do all that at the prompt, but I feel sorry
for the new people.

Maybe on other people's systems it works fine, but based on my own
experience, without a doubt FC4 is the buggiest release I've ever seen.
And, again, I've seen since 5.0 every single day.

Other than that it's fine. :)