assigning multiple ip addresses to NIC on bootupm, how?

Chris Lowth chris at lowth.com
Sat Jul 9 16:37:46 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>Or simply add the commands to /etc/rc.local
>>

>Possible, but a really bad style / practice. One should always use the
>configuration paths the system offers. I.e. /etc/rc.local does not count
>whether the network service is started or not, it always proceeds as
>last instance during the bootup.
>
>Alexander

Not sure about the "should always use .." - there's always an "it
depends". Sometimes (though possibly not in this case) the system
provided paths just dont offer the features a user needs/wants or do so
in a overly-complex manner.

Since the OP mentioned setting static addresses on the sub interfaces it
is likely that the main interf is also statically set, which in turn
means that the interface is more than likely to be brought up during the
boot process and would certainly be "up" by the time rc.local is
executed. Given that rc.local is always that last step in the boot
process it does (in his specific case) give a useful option.

Chris

--
http://www.lowth.com/rope - scriptable IpTable packet matching rules.