Fedora Update Lifetime - a question

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 01:34:45 UTC 2005

On 7/9/05, Hoffmann <oasf2004 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> What does Fedora Update Lifetime = 2-3 months after
> next release mean? That would means that 2-3 months
> after the release of a new Fedora version, I won't be
> able to make an upgrade? For instance 2-5 months after
> the release of the final FC5, I won't be able to
> upgrate FC4 to FC5. Right?
> Thanks!
> Hoffmann

update != upgrade

The way Fedora works it that 2-3 months after a release, when the
second (I think) test release for the next release comes out, they
stop producing updates for the previous release.  How about some
numbers.  Fedora Core 3 is out and getting updates, this is the
previous release.  Core 4 is the current release and Core 5 will be
the next.  When Core 5 Test 2 is released, Core 3 will stop getting
updates to its packages and will be moved to the Fedora Legacy project
that will take over doing security related updates.
Update refers to specific packages (software).  Upgrade refers to the
whole operating system package that is Fedora.  Does that make sense?

Jonathan