spca5xx driver problem

Rod Haper rhaper at houston.rr.com
Sun Jul 10 02:20:32 UTC 2005

Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le samedi 09 juillet 2005 à 12:23 -0500, Rod Haper a écrit :
>
>>Eric Tanguy wrote:

>>>No one use this very usefull driver ?
>>>

>>Yes, I use the spca5xx driver module.  I've used it for my Ezonics
>>EZ-306 USB webcam with FC2 and now with FC4.  I'm currently running the
>>stock 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4 i686 kernel on a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L
>>motherboard with an AMD XP 2600+ processor using the spca5xx-20050601
>>loadable module driver.  It works fine with GnomeMeeting and does not
>>cause any boot problems with the webcam plugged in at boot time.  I
>>assume you have done a fresh rebuild and reinstall of the spca5xx
>>module?  Tony Nelson's suggestion to check your boot dmesg log file to
>>see when the spca5xx module is loaded is a good idea.  The spca5xx
>>module is the last module loaded on my system.  Make sure it is loading
>>after your USB drivers.
>

> I see nothing about spca5xx driver in dmesg. How this module is
> launched ? How to make it started as the last one ? I found nothing
> in /etc/modprobe.conf and nothing in /etc/rc6.d/. This driver doesn't
> seem to be launched as service.
>
> --
> Eric Tanguy | Nantes, France
> <eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr>
> Key : A4B8368F | Key Server : subkeys.pgp.net
> Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) sur athlon kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4

Does "lsmod" show the spca5xx module to be loaded?  When you rebuilt the
spca5xx module did you do a "make install" as root?  That should have
installed a copy of spca5xx.ko in
/lib/modules/$(KERNEL_VERSION)/kernel/drivers/usb/media/ and run depmod
to update your modules.dep, modules.alias and modules.usbmap files.  The
kernel should automatically load the spca5xx module.  Try a fresh
rebuild and reinstall of the spca5xx module as root - make clean; make;
make install - and watch to see if there are any errors.  If all went
well, try running GnomeMeeting and check the Preferences->Video Devices
option to see if Input devices is correct for your webcam.  If not,
click the Detect Devices button.  "lsmod|grep spca5xx" should show the
spca5xx module loaded and that the videodev module is using it.  If this
is not the case, then maybe there is something wrong with your webcam or
USB controller.  I just follow the instructions in the INSTALL file and
all works well.  I hope this helps get your problem solved.

---
Rod