USB problem and spca5xx driver problem

Eric Tanguy eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr
Sun Jul 10 21:36:57 UTC 2005

Le dimanche 10 juillet 2005 à 15:02 -0500, Rod Haper a écrit :
> Patrick J Kobly wrote:
> > I use this driver for an NX Pro, without problems.  Have you got
> > problems with other USB devices?  Do you have other USB devices plugged
> > in at startup?
> >
> > PK
>
> Good questions Patrick.  I'd also ask, Eric, does your system boot
> without hanging if you have just the webcam unplugged at boot time?
> I've had problems in the past like this if I had a USB flash card
> storage device plugged in with the flash card media in the device at
> boot time but no problem if the flash card media was not in the device.

I made some interesting tries :
my usb scanner is always plugged in so other usb devices doesn't hang
the system
I tried also with 2 usb drives and 1 usb dvd writer and very strangely
the system boots fine but the devices seems to no be recognized or at
least not automagically mounted : nothing about their in /etc/fstab.
I tried with the 2 usb drives 1 usb dvd writer and my webcam as before
the system hangs until i unplug it. The system finishes to boot and this
time the 3 drives are automagically mounted : VERY STRANGE!!

So it seems that there is some problem between my usb system and FC4,
maybe i will bugzilla something about this. It seems that the boot
process is too quick for detected all usb devices and when it stops
because it hangs (due to the webcam) and after go on the system detects
the usb drives correctly!

--
Eric Tanguy | Nantes, France
<eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr>