fedora support for nvidia nF3,nF4?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Jul 10 22:21:52 UTC 2005

charles f. zeitler wrote:
> does fedora core 3,4 support
> nvidia'a nForce3 or nForce4
> chipsets out-of-the-box,
> or would i have to deal
> with extra (external) drivers?

That depends on your definition of "out-of-the-box".

The XOrg "nv" driver will support most NVidia chipsets, albeit without
3D support.  Out-of-the-box.  This driver is a part of the BASE install.

If you need 3D graphics support, you'll want to get NVidia's proprietary
"nvidia" driver, which can be installed directly from NVidia, or via
various yum repositories.  I recently switched from use the former to
using the RPMs in the Livna repository.  You'll need to install a few
RPMs to make it all work:

nvidia-glx
kernel-module-nvidia-$(uname -r)
nvclock  (if you want to overclock it)

And you'll have to re-install a new kernel-module-nvidia every time you
install a new kernel (which means you'll have to wait for Livna to build
it and make it available).  I found the latest one in livna-testing
(while the previous 3 were already in livna-stable).

At least you can install/update via yum, just like other base/extras RPMs.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net