Apache, httpd, php woes

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Mon Jul 11 03:56:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 08:49:47PM -0700, Rashan Jibowu waffled thusly:
> I'm trying to start my Apache web server, but I can't
> get it to start or restart. After googling the issue,
> I found that removing php should allow me to start the
> httpd service.

Have you looked in /var/log/httpd/error.log to determine _why_ Apache is
failing to start? This would be a better solution than merely ripping
PHP out of the system.

> So I am attempting to remove php but it
> has dependencies. When I attempt to remove the
> dependencies, I find that it is dependent on PHP
> (circular dependence).

Naturally php-foo will be dependent on the base php package itself. Try
finding which php extensions RPMs are installed and remove the lot in
one go via rpm -e <package> <package> ... etc.

> Finally, when I try to remove
> the packages using the --nodeps option, I get the
> following error:
>
> error: can't create transaction lock on
> /var/lib/rpm/__db.000

You are trying to remove the RPMs as a non-root user. Switch to the root
user and reissue the rpm -e command.

> Can someone help me out?
>
> Thanks

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com>
"Bother" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"