Red Hat Network Alert Notification Tool FC4 Subscription Alert

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 11 06:08:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 13:43 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 12:02 AM -0400 7/10/05, Terry Snyder wrote:
> >Ever since I upgraded to Fedora Core 4 from Fedora Core 3 my Red Hat
> >Network Alert Notification Tool has stopped working.  Everything I
> >click on the blue check mark it ask to Activate my Subscription.  I
> >click on Activate every time and I am still not notified when updates
> >are available.  Is there any way to fix this?
>
> What Paul Howarth said.  No.  Basically, Up2Date has been updated to use a
> new data format and no longer needs a "headers" directory on the server.
> Unfortunately, rhn-applet-*'s have not been updated and still rely on that
> "headers" directory, and it is always empty.

No so; rhn-applet *has* been updated to handle repomd style metadata,
it's just broken (perhaps we should say "an attempt to update it to use
repomd metadata" has been made?).

Both up2date and rhn-applet still use a "headers" directory if you
specify a "yum" repo (rather than repomd) in the rhn sources file.

> I'm on FC3 and Up2Date works for me (though not for some people).  In my
> opinion, until FC4 has a working Up2Date (or a replacement)

Isn't yum a replacement?

> it is not
> suitable for general use, and should not have been released.  It probably
> was just an oversight, but it /needs/ to be fixed now!

I'll second that.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>