Gimp Question

Carl Reynolds fedora-list at hyperbole-software.com
Mon Jul 11 06:30:12 UTC 2005

On Sunday 10 July 2005 12:29 pm, Jonathan Allen wrote:

>>My GIMP question is: having picked up a black-and-white gif file, how
>>can I 'select' individual parts of the black foreground text and swap
>>their colour to, say, red-on-white highlight them - that is without
>>drawing it.  In more generic words, if I hand-draw a selection area,
>>how can I turn all the pixels of one colour within the selection to
>>another colour ?
>>
>>Jonathan

You can use Select->By Color to make a selection of the color you want
to change. Adjust the amount that gets selected by playing with the
threshold. Then you can use Edit->Fill FG Color, Edit->Fill BG Color, or
Edit->Fill with Pattern to fill the selected area with a new color or
pattern. I would suggest making a new layer before you fill the
selection. that way you preserve your original image and can try a
number of different fills to see how they look.

Carl.