Couple of things re FC4 & yum

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 11 15:45:21 UTC 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 11:24, Paul Howarth wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> This machine is a bit odd in that its actual boot partition isn't
>> even mounted by FC4.  Somehow, in rigging it for dual booting of
>> FC4 and emc's bdi, its now booting from (hd1,0) instead of
>> (hd0,0), so that when a new kernel is installed as was the case
>> this morning, I have to hand modify the /dev/hdb1/grub/menu.lst
>> and copy all the new stuffs from /dev/hda1 to /dev/hdb1, which
>> when its booted to FC4, can be hand mounted as /mnt/bdi-boot.
>> /dev/hda1 is mounted by FC4 as /boot, but thats not where it boots
>> from.
>
>I'd suggest adding an entry:
>
>title Fedora Core 4
>         rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>         chainloader +1
>
>to /dev/hdb1/grub/menu.lst
>
>You should then be able to pick FC4 from the OS's boot menu, and
> never have to fiddle with grub entries again.
>
>Paul.

What would this do to the grub choice of boots menu?  And shouldn't
that be (hd0,0) which is the 'other' /boot partition that FC4 would
normally use if somehow grub hadn't been pointed at hdb?

ISTR that at some point in screwing around with the hardware in that
box, I swapped the master/slave jumpering of the drives, which may be
why its now booting from hdb.  One drive is a 60GB and one is a 46GB.
And I don't recall theres an option to control the booting device in
the bios...

This particular machines main reason-de-tiere is to run emc and my
micromill once I get all the hardware built, but its also a test bed
for FC4 because one of these days I'm going to install FC4 here, but
not with the gotchas I'm seeing so far.  I could even format the
whole thing and start over since I have the install cd's for both if
I thought that would fix these problems.  But, in the interests of
learning howto fix them, I'd druther not just be a windows luser and
reinstall for any problem that pops up.

Currently I have it set (on hdb) for a default that is the newest FC4
kernel and its running.  But as of this mornings reboot after a power
failure, its without a kicker, and a dead rhn-applet (whatever that
is, explain please) from the date of the first yum update after the
install.  e2fsck didn't complain about an unclean shutdown either,
which seems odd to say the least.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)