Were are POP3 and IMAP in core 4?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Jul 11 18:06:27 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 11.07.2005 schrieb mjohnson at deltains.net um 20:06:

> Just upgraded from Redhat 9 to CORE 4 and lost imap and pop3.
> Tried a fresh install and still none listed in services.

uw-imapd from former times was kicked a while ago. Use dovecot, if being
an advanced user with need for a powerful IMAP/POP3 server choose
Cyrus-IMAPd from Extras.

> Email, PHP, and Ilohamail  are the two reasons I use Linux.
> Why are they not included anymore?

"Email" is included, of course. PHP too. I don't remember that Ilohamail
was ever part of Red Hat Linux. Fedora comes with Squirrelmail as a
webmailer.

> Reading on the internet I have come across a few articles that says:
> Because of the short lifecycle of the Fedora Core they should not be used
> for production servers.  Is this true?  Should I look to another distro
> for a mail server.  From what little I have used it though I like the
> feel over RedHat 9...

In which area does your mail server run? Is it home use or do you have a
huge user base? Does the machine run locally or remote in a datacenter?
Such facts will influence a decision whether Fedora is a good choice or
not.

> -Mooring

Alexander

Serendipity 20:02:24 up 16 days, 2:54, load average: 0.21, 0.15, 0.21