Using cyrus-imapd, and moving off dovecot...

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Jul 11 18:09:24 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Mo, den 11.07.2005 schrieb Philip Prindeville um 10:46:
>

>>Is it my imagination, or is the CYRUS_MAILER_PATH wrong for
>>x86_64 packaging?  I'm looking at /usr/share/sendmail-cf/mailer/cyrus.m4
>>where it says:
>>
>>ifdef(`CYRUS_MAILER_PATH',, `define(`CYRUS_MAILER_PATH',
>>/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/deliver)')
>>
>>but that should be /usr/lib64/... right?
>>

>Yes, but not be touching /usr/share/sendmail-cf/mailer/cyrus.m4. FC4's
>sendmail.mc comes with pre-definitions for using Cyrus-IMAPd.

I'm running FC3 (unupdated, but I'll fix that shortly).

The problem seems to be related to using MAILER(cyrus) instead of
MAILER(cyrusv2).  Going to the latter fixed everything.

>>Also, is there an easy way to take old dovecot mailboxes from $USER/mail/
>>and push the contents into the Cyrus message store instead?
>>

>You can resend them using formail. Or move the mail to a different IMAP
>server and when Cyrus-IMAPd is up, transfer them again.

Does formail require the mailbox (target) to be empty?  I looked at some
utility scripts in cyrus-imapd-utils and they all warn against clobbering
the mailbox if it isn't empty....

>>I had to apply the following trickery to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc to get things
>>to work...
>>
>>***************
>>*** 160,164 ****
>>--- 162,176 ----
>>  dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
>>  dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomainalias.com)dnl
>>  dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomain.lan)dnl
>>+ define(`LOCAL_MAILER_PATH', `')dnl
>>

>Why that?

Because FEATURE(local_lmtp) tries to clobber it otherwise...

>>+ FEATURE(local_lmtp)dnl
>>+ define(`CYRUS_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/lib64/cyrus-imapd/deliver')dnl
>>

>You say first to use local_lmtp and then define to use deliver? You
>better should use LMTP.
>

>>+ FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
>>+ define(`LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
>>

>Do you really intend to use Procmail? For filtering Cyrus-IMAPd comes
>with Sieve.

I'm still trying to figure out how it all works together...  And what,
for instance,
is the way to get Spamassassin to integrate with Cyrus...

>>  MAILER(smtp)dnl
>>  MAILER(procmail)dnl
>>+ MAILER(local)dnl
>>+ MAILER(cyrus)dnl
>>

>Not correct, that must be mailer cyrusv2.

Yup.  Figured that out.

>>+ LOCAL_RULE_0
>>+ Rbb + $+ < @ $=w . >  $#cyrusbb $: $
>>

>More incorrect. That is very, very old syntax and obsolete. Probably you
>copied entries you found in the www. Most of them are not correct as
>outdated.

This actually came from the example in
/usr/share/sendmail-cf/cf/cyrusproto.mc ...

>>seems that this should be simpler....  more turn-key.  Note the
>>CYRUS_MAILER_PATH
>>was overridden for the above problem.  Not sure if I definitely need the
>>local mailer or
>>not... the MailerToTriple rule might require it...   And I'm not sure I
>>want root/postmaster
>>mail going into the IMAP message store, instead of into a normal local
>>mailbox, but I
>>haven't figured that one out yet...
>>

>Use the aliases file to send root's mail to a mortal mailbox user.

Using a MailerTriple syntax?

>>Also not sure where the '-t' in the original sendmail.mc definition for
>>procmail was
>>coming from...  I grepped for it in /usr/share/sendmail-cf/*/* and
>>couldn't find it!!!
>>

>You first have to decide how your whole mailer setup should be.

Well, I'm new to using procmail and Spamassassin.  Last time I worked with
MS's and MTA's, it was cyrus and postfix 7 years ago.  I'm sure things have
changed since then.

I'm open to suggestions.

I liked the way the system worked out of the box with Dovecot in that I
didn't
have to create users or mailboxes.  What I didn't like was the limited
capabilities
of Dovecot, like not having nested mailboxes...

-Philip