assigning multiple ip addresses to NIC on bootupm, how?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 18:42:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 12:22, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > > Thus, his question was how to get it to start at boot time.
> > > Your solution, while it works, does not meet his needs.
> >
> > While it makes more sense to add the aliases with the network-config
> > tool, he could, of course just add:
> > service httpd restart
> > at the end of /etc/rc.local to fix things after the interfaces appear.
>

> I don't recommend such way of administration (setup) as that quickly
> leads to a system which is sooner or later unmaintainable (as such kind
> of customisation will not stop with network and apache). The reason to
> use the correct configuration paths the distribution offers is that
> someone else, familiar with the distribution, can quickly adjust
> settings without need to do a forensic examination.

Agreed - if you are going to use RH/Fedora stuff at all, you might
as well plan to spend a month or two figuring out all the cruft
in /etc/sysconfig and the variety of programs that may or may not
exist to manipulate those files.  But it's going to be a shock for
someone coming from a bsd style distro.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com