assigning multiple ip addresses to NIC on bootupm, how?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jul 11 21:37:18 UTC 2005

> > > While it makes more sense to add the aliases with the network-config
> > > tool, he could, of course just add:
> > > service httpd restart
> > > at the end of /etc/rc.local to fix things after the interfaces appear.
> >

> > I don't recommend such way of administration (setup) as that quickly
> > leads to a system which is sooner or later unmaintainable (as such kind
> > of customisation will not stop with network and apache). The reason to
> > use the correct configuration paths the distribution offers is that
> > someone else, familiar with the distribution, can quickly adjust
> > settings without need to do a forensic examination.
>
> Agreed - if you are going to use RH/Fedora stuff at all, you might
> as well plan to spend a month or two figuring out all the cruft
> in /etc/sysconfig and the variety of programs that may or may not
> exist to manipulate those files.  But it's going to be a shock for
> someone coming from a bsd style distro.

No one *has* to do it the recommended way.  However, there are reasons
for doing it one way in preference to another.

Anyone can do configs the way that 'works for them', but Alexander has a
very valid point.  Maintainability is only one reason for following
standard formats/procedures and for placing certain configs in the
standard places.  If you don't care about that then use your own
method.

If you want to learn and do it "right" spend the time learning.  There
is no deadline on when you finish learning (heck, I am still learning
after using Linux for over 12 years).  I think your "month or two" is a
major shortfall in estimating the time actually required to learn
everything in depth, and might even be short in getting familiar with
most things.  As you point out, every *nix distribution (commercial or
otherwise) has differences and involves learning whenever you switch.