assigning multiple ip addresses to NIC on bootupm, how?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:41:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 16:37, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > Agreed - if you are going to use RH/Fedora stuff at all, you might
> > as well plan to spend a month or two figuring out all the cruft
> > in /etc/sysconfig and the variety of programs that may or may not
> > exist to manipulate those files.  But it's going to be a shock for
> > someone coming from a bsd style distro.
> >

> No one *has* to do it the recommended way.  However, there are reasons
> for doing it one way in preference to another.
>
> Anyone can do configs the way that 'works for them', but Alexander has a
> very valid point.  Maintainability is only one reason for following
> standard formats/procedures and for placing certain configs in the
> standard places.  If you don't care about that then use your own
> method.

That a fairly loose usage of the word 'standard' when you actually mean
things that are going to vary wildly with every distribution.

> If you want to learn and do it "right" spend the time learning.  There
> is no deadline on when you finish learning (heck, I am still learning
> after using Linux for over 12 years).  I think your "month or two" is a
> major shortfall in estimating the time actually required to learn
> everything in depth, and might even be short in getting familiar with
> most things.  As you point out, every *nix distribution (commercial or
> otherwise) has differences and involves learning whenever you switch.

I didn't mean a month or two to learn Linux - I meant specifically just
the stuff RH/Fedora crams into /etc/sysconfig that you might need to
change.  I'm being optimistic about the time because some of it is
documented, although I don't see much that ties the files/contents to
the configuration utilities that manipulate them.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com