Apache, httpd, php woes

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 12 06:49:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 00:31 -0400, Rashan Jibowu wrote:

Please don't Cc: me on list messages; I don't need to read them twice.

> On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 21:09 -0700, Rashan Jibowu wrote:
> > Ok, logging in to root solved the error. Now that php
> > is uninstalled (it's depencies remain... should I
> > remove these too?), I still cannot start the httpd
> > service, nor does it start when my computer starts up.
> > In fact, httpd is the only service that fails at start
> > up. How can I fix this?
>
> >> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> First fix your broken RPM database (caused by using --nodeps) by either
> reinstalling php or removing the dependent packages.
>
> Then try restarting httpd and look in any log files in /var/log/httpd
> that have been written to since you tried to start httpd (use "ls
> -lrt /var/log/httpd" to get a list of files sorted such that the
> last-modified one is at the end of the list).
>
> P.S. Please do not top-post on this mailing list:
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> It sounds like uninstalling PHP was a bad idea so I reinstalled.

Good.

> Since I am
> still having troubles starting the httpd service I have copied the error log in
> /var/log/httpd/error_log (most recent error log)
>
> I have no idea what any of this stuff means, but hopefully this will be helpful
> in diagnosing the problem. Also, the most recent error is at the bottom of this
> list. Thanks.
>
> [root at computer ~]# cat /var/log/httpd
> cat: /var/log/httpd: Is a directory
> [root at computer ~]# cat /var/log/httpd/error_log
> [Sun Jul 10 22:39:40 2005] [notice] core dump file size limit raised to
> 4294967295 bytes
> [Sun Jul 10 22:39:40 2005] [alert] (EAI 2)Name or service not known:
> mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of "computer"
> Configuration Failed

Looks like you've configured the httpd to call itself
"computer" (ServerName directive?) but that name does not resolve. You
should use a real name that resolves to at least one of your computer's
IP addresses.

Adding "computer" to the end of the /etc/hosts entry for your machine
may be enough to get you going for now.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>