[OT] Advice wanted on packaging a program I wrote.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 12 09:29:07 UTC 2005

Tony Nelson wrote:
> I need to find out how to package a program for distribution on Linux.  On
> MacOS, and for the things I've done on MSWindows, a drag-install suffices
> for either the built application or for the source.

Yes, but these systems result in an astronomical amount of duplaicated
libraries etc. getting installed.

 > Apparantly RPM comes
> into play after the program has been packaged for distribution in some
> other way, and I haven't been asking the right question.
>
> What is the right question?  Is it "How do I package my program for
> distribution in order to get it ready for packaging by RPM"?

I don't think there's a single answer to that question.

How about this: given the source code for your package, what exact steps
would you take to install that package on your system if you weren't
using RPM?

Paul.