WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Res res at ausics.net
Tue Jul 12 09:52:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> The problems with it are a mile long and I'm very disappointed that I
> upgraded my home machine.

I agree, so much so we reinstalled the previous FC from backup and are not
going to update, all updates wil be done manually from kernel org and
respective programs distro points,  FC4 is ajoke, even most the install
CD's fail until you make it in an error condition then running install, X
is screwed, with fonts, video drivers that work on ealier versions dont in
FC4, the list goes on and on and on...

> * I have a Dell Dimension 4700 at work. The upgrade went fine from
>  Core 3 to 4. Afterwards, I went to start X and it failed. The
>  xorg.conf file was identical both before and after the upgrade,
>  including after running system-config-display --configure. The fix,
>  after a team of people poured 6 hours into it was to not use the
>  VESA driver that it used before. The correct choice is to use the
>  i810 driver. The writeup for it is here:

lol  my previous that used this driver wont work, only the vesa driver
does , hey maybe they renamed them backto front  LOL (j/k but might as
well hey haha)

I've seen unstable beta versions far superior and more stable :)

--
Cheers
Res