WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jul 12 11:07:10 UTC 2005

Kevin Waterson wrote:

>> The problems with it are a mile long and I'm very disappointed that I
>> upgraded my home machine
>
> Gee, and it all works so well for me... maybe I should uninstall it

This is a rather silly discussion.

So FC-4 works fine for you. You are lucky.

The OP was over the top with his reaction
to what seem like 3 isolated problems.
However, anyone with problems when upgrading Fedora
deserves to be listened to.

Since there are no statistics (perhaps there should be?)
it is hard to judge,
but my impression is that more people had more problems with FC-4
than with previous upgrades.

Unfortunately I have little confidence that the Fedora team
are paying sufficient attention to this.
>From my reading (admittedly very superficial) of development lists
there is too much time and energy spent on new developments,
and not enough on making sure the basic installation is rock solid.
[Making sure Xorg works on all systems
is far more important than getting 3D graphics in place, IMHO.]

Also the bugzilla system needs an overhaul.
It is absurdly complicated,
and many bugs do not seem to be looked at at all.
(I posted one about a problem installing on my Sony Picturebook C1VFK,
with a complete error listing,
but as far as I can see it went into a black hole.
I'd suggest that all bugs should at least be assigned to someone,
and the poster told of this,
within a reasonable time, say 2 weeks.)

I also think that it should be possible normally to upgrade
from the Fedora test versions
(it probably is, but one is warned not to try it).
My impression is that only a small proportion of users
are trying the test versions, probably for this reason.
This is particularly the case with people who have one, perhaps aged, box,
who are exactly the people likely to get problems.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366