another Yum problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 12 15:04:39 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 July 2005 2:45 am, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 01:12 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
>>
>>>Tonight, even though I do yum updates several times a week, I came up
>>>with a list of 633 updates available. How could this be? I did an rpm
>>>rebuilddb and I run yum clean all, but I still get this huge list. I
>>>can't believe so many packages have new updates in the past 48 hours, or
>>>less. My repos are the standard Fedora including extras and development,
>>>Livna, and KDE-Redhat.
>>
>>Check out a sample of what it's saying needs updating.
>>
>>Do "yum check-update" to get a list of the packages that need updating.
>>
>>For some of those packages, do "rpm -q packagename" to see which version
>>you have installed. Compare that with what yum is suggesting to install.
>>Is the version yum is suggesting later?
>>
>>Which repositories are the majority of the updates from? Have you
>>enabled a development repo by mistake?
>>
>>Paul.
>>--
>

> Thanks, Paul. I 'do' intend to do that. The problem occurred very late last
> night when I was dealing with several issues at once, so I didn't get around
> to this step - but, I have learned enough to know to do that <g>, and, to not
> let the updates proceed. I shall investigate this when I get home. I remember
> this occurring with FC3 several months back, and the problem went away on its
> own, so I was holding off the heavy diagnostics due to the hour. I posted
> just to see if there was anything about yesterday's activities in the FC4
> world that could be causing this, external to my situation.

One thing that I missed in my earlier response was that you said "My
repos are the standard Fedora including ... development ..."

If you have that repo enabled and have applied updates then you are
running rawhide, not FC4, and a large number of daily updates is to be
expected; it wouldn't be unusual. You'd also be on the wrong list...

Cheers, Paul.