WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Jul 12 16:22:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-07 at 03:25 +0200, harald kapper wrote:
> Fred Morcos schrieb:
> > well, im not against steven, fc3 is way much better than fc4.. i still
> > experience hell a lot of problems in fc4 even after upgrading the whole
> > system.. i dont know why all this happened, is it such bad testing? or
> > the fedora team giving up on the project?? things/problems that happen
> > aren't suppose to be happening.. i mean, fedora core 4 till now cant be
> > a usable system anywhere (home, office, server, etc..)
> > no offence but i think that fc4 needs a lot more attention for the next
> > 2 months to get everything tested, fixed and optimized as good as
> > possible...
> > im wishing them good luck
> > -fred
> >

> hi
> imho this is a logical situation *yes* *really* no_joke.
>
> fedora is - by the idea of redhat - the area of
> bleeding-edge-development, where new things get introduced and tested.
> "they" simply rebase the kernelsource and apply patches and then this
> kernel gets released - by the feedback of hundreds or thousands of users
> redhat learns about their software and profit from the testing-process,
> while "we" get a free solution and software, that we can use as we like
> - now I have nothing against this deal - and the alternatives if you
> don't like this deal are out there - just search for another distro :)
>
> the latest enterprise linux was basically a fork out of fc3-testing, in
> other words three development and testing cycles with a public userbase
> in the tens or maybe even hundreds of thousands after their initial fork
>   from good old RH9 / RHEL3. So it was in fact time for anybody who
> wants a stable system to either move to RHEL4 or plan for upgrading
> his/her systems with either fedoralegacy or by themselves or by whatever
> other means.
Don't bet on it.

I spent the weekend transferring a RHL9 server to a new RHES4 server
the package manager won't read the CD's. Someone else installed
RHES on the machine and did not install any development tools, after
messing around trying to get the package manager to work, I gave up
and used up2date to get the development system. A few servers had
config files that would not allow the server to run without
modification. I am glad I did not authorize the purchase, I won't
be suggesting it to anyone in the future.

--
Guy Fraser
Network Administrator