WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 12 19:14:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:56:56 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>>The trick to avoiding problems with Fedora is to wait until towards
>>the end of a version's life.  Not past the end - you want a version
>>still being actively used, but you want to be able to immediately
>>do a 'yum update' to pick up the fixes for the problems others have
>>already experienced.  FC1 is too old since it is no longer being
>>updated - if you find a new problem it won't be fixed, and FC4 is
>>too new if you don't want to be involved in helping with the fixes.
>>

> That's the approach I've decided to take. I may upgrade from FC2 to FC3
> soon.

It's the approach I used to take as a total sub-technoid; and it was OK, I
guess -- but I did twelve or fifteen installs on five machines over about
three years, and all the keeping up got pretty old pretty fast.

Then one of the first people I asked suggested the opposite tack: start a
new release near the outset, and count on keeping it clear to legacy. So,
like Øyvind Stegard in this thread, but with what must be far less
expertise, I've now done upgrades from FC1, 2, and 3 -- and am glad, so
far.

I do have a problem with one erstwhile FC1 machine, but that was my fault
for doing something unusually stupid while reacting to a power failure
that hit just as an install was finishing; it seems unrelated to Fedora,
and I'll look for help elsewhere.

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;