WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Jul 12 20:53:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-07 at 15:04 +0200, Neil Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 12:19:33PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > A bug is a bug, and should be corrected, not excused.
> >
> > I think Fedora-4 is pretty good,
> > but too many bugs got past those who should have been looking for them.
> > Linus Torvalds has a far more difficult job with the kernel,
> > and very little seems to get past him and his team.
>
> What you and the other whiners on this thread have fogotten is that you lot
> are part of "those who should have been looking for them".  This project relies
> on community support and testing, and if you don't help with the testing on
> your particular setup, which is probably different from many other people's,
> you're going to end up with things not working for you.

An you are what exactly. A can of gas in the fire pit.

> If your need is for the kind of distribution where you can just be a consumer,
> may I suggest that you have a look over there in the corner at RHEL, where you
> can pay (in money) for the privilege.  Make no mistake, whatever you do, you will
> pay - either in money for a commercial distribution, or in the time and effort of
> testing and helping provide new packages, or in the inconvenience and irritation
> of finding out that your configuration doesn't work.

RHEL is only as good as the FC it come from. RHES4 has some
significant problems that should have been fixed in FC3, but
due to the acrimony of the developers in this list towards the
users in this list, the problems never got fixed. I can only
hope that some day management in RH will look at the archives
and fire some of the developers for making excuses instead of
patches.