WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Jul 13 00:05:58 UTC 2005

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> >Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >

> >>Your specific bugs may not have been addressed but if you look at the
> >>reports, thousands of bugs are being worked upon every week. If you put
> >>in bugzilla, you have a way to reach the developers and help keep track
> >>of it.  Users list is not going to provide you that.
> >>

> >Well, my experience is exactly the opposite.
> >

> Well you dont have to take my word on it. Generate a report here
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/query.cgi?format=report-table and
> see for yourself the stats available
>
> >I've had great help from the Fedora mailing list -
> >and particularly from you, Rahul, thank you -
> >

> Welcome
>
> >but my experience with redhat bugzilla has not been encouraging.
> >

> Maybe the interactions needs to be improved there. I have been writing a
> few guidelines in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsReports
>
> >It is not just that my two bugs were not solved,
> >I saw no evidence that anyone had looked at them at all.
> >I'd really like to feel that there was a mechanism in place,
> >and hopefully someone looking over it,
> >so that if a bug had not been investigated for say two months
> >a reminder would be sent to the person in charge.
> >

> A Fedora bug squad has been formed to address more of these concerns.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs.  Stay turned for more information.

Maybe I was too harsh, in my previous posts.

That kind of strategy is what I have been waiting to hear, and is
commonplace in many of the opensource projects I have contributed
to.

It is easier to get help from the FC community, if there is a glimmer
of hope that someone is listening and is interested in finding a
solution. Less triage would be necessary if more simple answer were
provided on the list, rather than telling people to place a bug
report first.

When I discover a problem, I first check the man pages and
documentation, if I don't find any solutions, I use Google only then
do I ask on a mailing list. If I don't get any help then I look
for bug reports and if there are no bugs that are the same, place a
new report.

I don't recall the last time I had a bug that wasn't listed a bunch
of times in bugzilla, so I haven't added a new one for years. What
has been stressful since FC3 is the fact that all the bugs I found
had many unsolved entries and appeared to have been closed with
an excuse for not resolving the issue, rather than a solution.

I am encouraged to see that you are interested in motivating the
developers to work with the community in a co-operative fashion
rather than the combative one that seems to be prevalent now. I
know that speaking for myself at least, if a developer has a
helpful attitude I would bend over backward to help, but if they
have a snotty holier than thou attitude, I won't give a moments
thought about responding harshly or not at all. At the end of
the day, I don't have to live with any RH products, but if the
developers value their job, they do. RH used to provide the
absolute best products in the market until RHL 8.0. I bought
many box sets and even had subscriptions for my home machines.
I sold a bunch of people of getting RHL Professional, but since
then RH has provided me with more and more grief. I can only
hope there are others like yourself who strive to get things
back on track.