Co-locating FC4 and XP - advice sought

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Wed Jul 13 03:23:38 UTC 2005

Hi list,
I'm expecting delivery of a new notebook any day now (woohoo!), and it
comes with Windows XP Pro. In the past I usually wiped Windows off the
disks of new PCs as a matter of course, and gave the MS license to
somebody I hate... :)

This time I'm planning to keep a Windows partition and dual-boot the
machine. The main reason is that I have to use some proprietary
Windows-only software to get movies off my digital set top box. The
files are typically anywhere from 1GB to 8GB in size, and I want to
edit, transcode and burn them to DVD in FC4. The software doesn't work
under Wine, and I don't want to spend money on a VMware license.

My question is this: what is the best filesystem for both OS'es to use
for sharing these files?

I suppose NTFS is the way to go, since previous Windows filesystems
don't support files that large (correct?), and Windows can't use any of
Linux's filesystems (correct?).

Has NTFS support in FC4 matured to a point where it can be used to
routinely process large files? How about performance?

The notebook comes with a 100GB disk, and I have to make this filesystem
decision before I can decide on the split between Windows and Linux
partitions.

Cheers
Steffen.