size of a folder?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 06:43:54 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

>I know the "df" command to see how much free space is on the hard
>drive.  there's also a command which can figure out how "big" a
>directory is.  it doesn't seem to be "ls", near as I can tell.  any
>ideas?
>

>thanks,
>
>Thufir

I know that you already got the answer, but in the vein of
teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a fish:

[edited to shorten lines]

[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$ apropos usage
Pod::Usage           (3pm)  - print a usage message from embedded
                      pod documentation
df                   (1)  - report filesystem disk space usage
du                   (1)  - estimate file space usage
getrlimit            (2)  - get/set resource limits and usage
getrusage [getrlimit] (2)  - get/set resource limits and usage
lh_node_usage_stats [lh_stats] (3ssl)  - LHASH statistics
lh_node_usage_stats_bio [lh_stats] (3ssl)  - LHASH statistics
pod2usage            (1)  - print usage messages from embedded
                      pod docs in filespod2usage() [Pod::Usage] (3pm)
                      - print a usage message from embedded pod
documentation
quota                (1)  - display disk usage and limits
quotacheck           (8)  - scan a filesystem for disk usage, create,
                     check and repair quota files
setrlimit [getrlimit] (2)  - get/set resource limits and usage
time                 (1)  - time a simple command or give resource usage
[jmccarty at Presario-1 jmccarty]$

The apropos command is your friend.

Mike