how to set up bind for a home network

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Wed Jul 13 06:51:28 UTC 2005

> Hello
> I bought a new router that does not resolve to my email server or my
> apache server when I enter my domain name in the browser. My previous
> old Linkys router never gave me this problem. D-Link tech support
> informed me that I needed to set up and run a DNS server inside my
> network of three computers for it to work. Right now every time I try
> to go to my domain the router takes me to its login screen. The
> router is the DSL-504T model.
> So, can anyone tell me how to configure my DNS server to resolve to
> my domain name inside my network?
> Thanks
> EJ

i imagine, calling your domain-name hopefully doesnt bring up the
login-prompt for your firewall ;-)

i have an older di-804, i had to setup also a small dns for home. it's not
that trivial, but it's even not that heavy.

1) copy your named.conf to somewhat, so you have an original-backup
2) edit your named.conf:

-> edit the options-section, so it looks something like

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        notify no;
        forward first;
        forwarders { yourdlinksip; external-dns1; external-dns2; } ;
};

this says, that if the ip-adress/fqdn is not found in your domain here, it
forwards the resolving-request to external dns-servers.

-> add your domain-zone

zone "domain.tld" IN {
        type master;
        file "domain.db";
};

-> and as a helper a reverse-zone

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "168.192.db";
};

if you have chrooted named, copy this also to /var/named/chroot/etc

...thats it. now you have to create your zonefiles in either /var/named
oder if you have chrooted your environement in /var/named/chroot/var/named

create the two files mentionned in /etc/named.conf (domain.db & 168.192.db)

content of domain.db:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400      ; 1 day
yourdomain.tld                IN SOA  host.yourdomain.tld.
root.host.yourdomain.tld. (
                                2005000001 ; serial
                                10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
                                900        ; retry (15 minutes)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                86400      ; minimum (1 day)
                                )
                        NS      host.yourdomain.tld.
                        A       [ip-adress of your nameserver]
                        MX      0 mailserver.domain.tld.
$ORIGIN yourdomain.tld.
hostname                A       ip-adress
hostname                A       ip-adress
www                     CNAME   hostname -> this create an alias, so you
can call www.yourdomain.tld, as an example

...this is your forward-zone. set the values as you need an like it ;-)
...now lets do some work for the reverse.zone open 168.192.db and insert:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400              ; 23 hours 30 minutes
0.168.192.in-addr.arpa  IN SOA  IN SOA  host.yourdomain.tld.
root.host.yourdomain.tld. (
                                2005000001 ; serial
                                10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
                                900        ; retry (15 minutes)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                86400      ; minimum (1 day)
                                )
                        NS      host.yourdomain.tld.
                        A       [ip-adress of your host
$ORIGIN 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
last 3 digits of ip-add PTR     router.yourdomain.tld.
100                     PTR     host.yourdomain.tld.
101                     PTR     host.yourdomain.tld.

replace also here the values to your gusto :-D

...save it and do service named start. check for error messages in
/var/log/messages, i think, this should work.

HTH
Roger