Bugzilla for occasional users (was WARNING...)

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jul 13 07:12:27 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:

| 3 more installs later I still don't have a usable x-server like I
| had with the first install, seems the nv driver doesn't support 32
| bit, nor 1600x1200 screens, suddenly??.  And x-server problems

This sounds really like you did not tell X that your monitor was capable
of this yet.  Make sure you set up your monitor appropriately in
system-config-display.

| This forum, with all due respect, seems to be only a place to post
|  ones grips, letting the user vent.  But as far as actually getting
| a message that there is something wrong, TO THE PERSON WHO IS
| FAMILIAR ENOUGH WITH THE AREA IN QUESTION THAT AN ANSWER MIGHT BE
| SUPPLIED, IS OBVIOUSLY NOT POSSIBLE UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO HACK
| AT BUGZILLA

Bugzilla is NOT very end-user friendly or that effective in searching
IMO too.  Many times I could not find entries that are in there by
searching.  But I'm willing to believe heavy users can work it really
effectively by learning its quirks.  Yesterday I saw this for example:

http://bugzilla.ximian.com/query.cgi

and that is just a brick wall killer for simple low duty-cycle end-user
participation.  Redhat have a "simple search" but that either finds a
bazillion ancient bugs or "zaroo" (yeah really cute after the
hundredth time).
But what'd  be better is a flat Google-type interface, lose all the
comboboxes and just  accept product and versioning as "literal
strings" if
given.

| Redhat/Fedora needs to assign some folks to monitor this list for
| say 6 to 8 weeks after a release, who can actually deduce whats
| wrong

Rahul is around a lot, that never used to be.  I often see kernel
changelogs coming out of complaints on the lists and bugzilla.
So I think noting issues publicly does have the desired effect.  However
there is a kind of threshold at work here I have observed... one can
stick a complaint in Bugzilla and it is apparently ignored for weeks.
(One can also get great immediate service in there too, but that's not
my point).  Then a few more people get the same problem and add
their voices on the ml and/or bugzilla, maybe someone *@redhat.com
gets the problem and then suddenly it is fully on the agenda and
being attacked.  So the path to getting the full-on attention is not
always direct, it does not mean that your apparently ignored complaint
did not get noted and maybe help crank up the potential on that
neuron to just below firing level.

I don't know how else they can really work that except allow the guys
responsible for the package with the problem to choose which issues to
address based on available info, prevalence of the problem,
reproducibility,
etc, and also to allow them to just not respond if they have nothing
to say.
If you really want 100% attack on every random bugzilla entry RH will
be having to pay for a lot more tech staff for little or no benefit to
them,
it ain't going to happen.

| Now, does anyone know how I can make an ifconfig of eth0 show an
| ipv4

Sorry, I did not install FC4 yet.

- -Andy