Co-locating FC4 and XP - advice sought

Aurelien GROSDIDIER agrosdidier_phd at yahoo.fr
Wed Jul 13 07:39:44 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 09:20, Steffen Kluge wrote:
> To summarise your and Antonio's responses, it looks like there is no
> usable r/w support for NTFS in Linux, hence "working" with files on the
> NTFS partition is out of the question.

The captive stuff might help you reading/writing from/to NTFS partitions. My
last try (dealing with small files, about one year ago) was a bit
disappointing though, because of the *poor* disk throughput and a obvious
memory leaks. A newer release might be available fixing these issues:

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

As it's probably worth givin it a try before partitioning, you can use with a
live CD such as sysrescuecd, or even the lastest knoppix.

Btw, bundled with CLAMAV or F-Prot, such a live-cd with read/write NTFS
support is one of the best way to remove viruses from windows boxes. A french
attempt in this direction is here : http://chronomium.com/. Even though the
website is ugly, the ISO should work anyway.

Have fun w/FC4.

Aurel