how to set up bind for a home network

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Wed Jul 13 12:39:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 01:47 -0400, redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hello
> I bought a new router that does not resolve to my email server or my
> apache server when I enter my domain name in the browser. My previous
> old Linkys router never gave me this problem. D-Link tech support
> informed me that I needed to set up and run a DNS server inside my
> network of three computers for it to work. Right now every time I try
> to go to my domain the router takes me to its login screen. The
> router is the DSL-504T model.
> So, can anyone tell me how to configure my DNS server to resolve to
> my domain name inside my network?

This is what I use for my home network behind a linksys wireless router.
Linux server, dual boot win/linux desktop, and a windows desktop.

Here is the program, called dnsmasq.  Email me privately or on list if
need help setting it up.

http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

(Actually, I think one of the 3rd party repositories (don't know which
one) has packaged it into an RPM).

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Everything is always harder, before it's easier!"