SElinux and squirrelmail (write access denied to a file with 777 permissions)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jul 13 13:29:22 UTC 2005

redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Let's say I keep Squirrelmail but I don't want to use the  functionality
> of writing to that config file with apache. How do I  undo this? I just
> wanna give it a try and I'll probably want to  revert the changes I made
> for SElinux.
> So what would be the opposite of chcon -t httpd_squirrelmail_t /usr/
> share/squirrelmail/config/config/ php to undo the changes it makes?

$ ls -lZ /path/to/file

and you will see the file's current SELinux context (amongst other
information). Let's say it's "system_u:object_r:usr_t".

Dan suggested changing context type to "httpd_squirrelmail_t", which
would give your file a context of "system_u:object_r:httpd_squirrelmail_t".

You could change it back using:

# chcon -t usr_t /path/to/file
or:
# chcon system_u:object_r:usr_t /path/to/file

See "man chcon" for more details.

Paul.