WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 13 13:34:01 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:

> 3 more installs later I still don't have a usable x-server like I had
> with the first install, seems the nv driver doesn't support 32 bit,
> nor 1600x1200 screens, suddenly??.  And x-server problems
> notwithstanding, the last two installs have set eth0 up with only an
> ipv6 style address, and of course I have no networking.  yum of
> course loves that...

I don't set up as an expert,
but it seems to me that the changes you are making are too comprehensive.
You would be better off pausing a little longer,
and trying to work out why one particular thing is not working.

For example, if I had a problem with X I would try installing in text mode,
and then try to set up X later, using one of the several tools available.

I've never understood your problems with /dev/hda and /dev/hdb .
I think that normally the computer will try to boot from /dev/hda
unless you have told the BIOS otherwise.
But if you install grub on the /dev/hda MBR it can certainly
find partitions on /dev/hdb .

As for IPv6, I think you can disable this by adding IPV6INIT=no
to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever)
and saying "service network restart" as root.
(Or you could remove the IPv6 module from /lib/modules/<version>/ .)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366