WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 13 14:08:39 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 09:34, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> 3 more installs later I still don't have a usable x-server like I
>> had with the first install, seems the nv driver doesn't support 32
>> bit, nor 1600x1200 screens, suddenly??.  And x-server problems
>> notwithstanding, the last two installs have set eth0 up with only
>> an ipv6 style address, and of course I have no networking.  yum of
>> course loves that...
>
>I don't set up as an expert,

Neither did I.  I just selected automatic disk partitioning
on /dev/hda, and manual configuration of the network (which I did) as
opposed to the default dhcp.  And 'everything'...

>but it seems to me that the changes you are making are too
> comprehensive. You would be better off pausing a little longer,
>and trying to work out why one particular thing is not working.
>
>For example, if I had a problem with X I would try installing in
> text mode, and then try to set up X later, using one of the several
> tools available.

I don't think there is, and I haven't found, a non gui install (linux
text) that doesn't fail from a /dev/hda3 is busy condition.

>I've never understood your problems with /dev/hda and /dev/hdb .

Its real simple, both hda1 and hdb1 were marked as bootable, because
hdb was originally hda & vice-versa.  The bios apparently doesn't
care, and up till the last reboot last night, it was actually booting
from the contents of /dev/hdb1 even though it wasn't mounted once
booted, hda1 was.

>I think that normally the computer will try to boot from /dev/hda
>unless you have told the BIOS otherwise.
>But if you install grub on the /dev/hda MBR it can certainly
>find partitions on /dev/hdb .

And vice-versa as has been proved here for quite some time.

>As for IPv6, I think you can disable this by adding IPV6INIT=no
>to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever)
>and saying "service network restart" as root.

But a 'service network restart' fails because it cannot allocate via
kmalloc, 4GB of ram.  Thats a ridiculous error on the face of it, and
has to be a real bug.

>(Or you could remove the IPv6 module from /lib/modules/<version>/ .)

Why should I have to, when in the installs network config, dhcp is
disabled and the network configured by hand, and iptables and selinux
is disabled since I'm behind a firewall?  I still have to add to
the /etc/hosts file of course, but thats not helping now since it
decided to use only ipv6 addressing according to an 'ifconfig eth0'
report.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)