Boot disk creation

Levin Fritz levinfritz at mediales.net
Wed Jul 13 14:20:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 09:23 -0400, Brian McGovern wrote:
> Heres a dumb question.  I have a server thats been set up already.
> How do i make a boot floppy from it in case it ever crashes and I need
> to boot from floppy?

Depends on what you want to use the floppy for. If you want to use it to
boot the Fedora system on the hard disk, that's what mkbootdisk is for.
This kind of boot floppy only helps if the boot loader (grub) or the
kernel is broken. Also, it seems that, as Paul mentioned, current
kernels don't fit on a floppy, so you'll have to use a CD, DVD or maybe
a USB drive.

The other kind is a stand-alone bootdisk, ie, a complete operating
system on a floppy. There are several of those; one popular one is
Tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/). These are all rather outdated,
though, so I'd suggest using a CD (these are usually called "Live CD")
in this case as well. Here's a big list of Live CDs:
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php.

Levin