RPM newbie: howto install mplayer under fc4?

Levin Fritz levinfritz at mediales.net
Wed Jul 13 14:38:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 15:50 +0200, GXbor_IglXi wrote:
[snip]
> And is there a way to browse available packages for Fedora?

You can use yumex, which is a graphical front end for yum. It's included
in Fedora Extras, so
# yum install yumex
should work.

> As I see I need to know about some unofficial repos like livna
> if I'd like to yum up all of my favourite Linux softwares... (Skype,
> RealPlayer, mplayerplug-in, streamtuner, LimeWire).

Fedora Core and Fedora Extras only include free software and don't
include any free software packages that might be illegal in the US (this
is usually related to software patents). Livna and Freshrpms carry a lot
of the software-patent-affected packages. For proprietary software like
Skype you'll have to check out the webpage of the company that created
the program. These are often not available via yum.

Levin