Document Management recommendation

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 15:07:53 UTC 2005

Paul Hoy <paul.hoy at mac.com> wrote:

 > On Wednesday, July 13, 2005, at 10:31AM, Phil <plabonte at gmail.com>
 > wrote:

 >> I need a basic document management system that does check in and
 >> check out, that lists which users have a file checked out...
 >> revisions...
 >>
 >> I did a search on SourceForge and got a list of about 20 projects...
 >>
 >> Does anyone have any recommendations?
 >>
 >> The popular ones I have seen are:
 >>
 >> Knoledgetree
 >> OwlIntranet
 >> DocMan
 >> DocSys...

 > Hi,
 >
 > I could be wrong, but I think FC4 comes with Subversion, a centralized
 > version control system. This may be more than you need though.

<snip>

And FC3.  I'm currently using subversion+latex on a Windows machine
to write a first year report, and it's working quite well.  Has
anyone used any of the Linux GUIs for it?  I'm using TortoiseSVN on
Windows and it plugs into the file manager.  It's quite friendly
to use if you have a GUI and, reading the manual, the commands
aren't very intimidating.

Anyway, it works in a 'diff' way on all file types (including
binaries), so it's space efficient, and it doesn't need the
server component if the repository is local.

--
imalone