Finding ports and services

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Wed Jul 13 15:32:29 UTC 2005

Good morning folks -- Excuse the newbie question please, I am tired of
banging my head on a wall here!

I am trying to configure a mysql server to use data on a physically
separate server, where the data directory is shared over an NFS link

Every time I try to start the MySQL server, I get an error that says:

050713 11:00:09  mysqld started
050713 11:00:09 [Warning] Asked for 196608 thread stack, but got 126976
050713 11:00:09 [ERROR] Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address
already in use
050713 11:00:09 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server
running on port: 3306 ?
050713 11:00:09 [ERROR] Aborting

050713 11:00:09 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

050713 11:00:09  mysqld ended

I am trying to figure out how to tell if something is blocking or
occupying the default MySQL port

I do not have telnet installed, so the trick of

telnet srvfs-01:3306 will not work

I need to find out whats going on and blocking this port, as well, in a
broader sense, I need to begin to develop some network troubleshooting
tools for Linux,  If someone can point me to the appropriate references
etc, I would be most grateful

Thanks

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster / Science Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11