Feodra Core 3 corruption

Muralidhar Ganga gmurali at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:52:47 UTC 2005

Some times the the file manager (Nautilus) does not show up.
if I want to reboot the PC at that point for some reason, the
Actions->logout
won't respond. Terminal does not open for a while .... instead of waiting
for all this
to happen I was playing with pushing the power button. I have done this
several
times. At one time I see this corruption. I am using this in a lab
environment.

I guess my question is why pushing power button causes this random writes ??
This is so happened that some of the kernel header files are corrupted (some
junk characters in a header file) and could not compile a kernel module ...

I know I need to do proper shutdown.

What if this happens? How do I protect this ... ?

Thanks
/Murali

On 7/12/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Muralidhar Ganga wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Running Fedora Core 3.
> >
> >Pushing power cycle button (without proper shutdown), when the system is
> >not responding causes the corruption (or random writes) of some kernel
> >header files in /lib/modules/....
> >
> >Thanks
> >/Murali
> >

> I can believe that a force shutdown like that could corrupt
> anything. What exactly are you hoping to get as a response
> to this message?
>
> Mike
>
> --
> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
> I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>
> --

Regards,
Murali