Feodra Core 3 corruption

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 16:52:56 UTC 2005

Muralidhar Ganga wrote:

>Some times the the file manager (Nautilus) does not show up.
>if I want to reboot the PC at that point for some reason, the
>Actions->logout
>won't respond. Terminal does not open for a while .... instead of waiting
>for all this
>to happen I was playing with pushing the power button. I have done this
>several
>times. At one time I see this corruption. I am using this in a lab
>environment.

You probably aren't waiting long enough. I'd wait ten (10) minutes before
doing a BHR (Big Hairy Reset).

>I guess my question is why pushing power button causes this random writes ??
>This is so happened that some of the kernel header files are corrupted (some
>junk characters in a header file) and could not compile a kernel module ...

Erm? Uh? Duh?

You have unwritten system buffers in memory.
The system decides to write them out.
The system issues a command to the disc drive to write.
The disc starts writing, and you pull power to the disc.
What happens after that is anyone's guess.

In fact, just pulling power to the disc like that can
cause it to get confused and do a write, even if
it hasn't been commanded.

That's why a shutdown is necessary.

>I know I need to do proper shutdown.

Then why don't you?

>What if this happens? How do I protect this ... ?

DON'T DO THAT!

Mike