MythTV on Fedora

Jean-Rene Cormier jrc at jrcormier.com
Wed Jul 13 17:30:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 09:09 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> Anyone tried MythTV on Fedora? Wanna share your
> experience? How does it compare to Tivo?

I just installed it on FC4 last Friday to record the F1 race last Sunday
because I was working all weekend. Works quite well, I tried a bit of
live TV watching also, you can pause/rewind live TV, that's kinda cool
but the main thing I wanted it for was to act as a VCR. I don't know how
it compares to Tivo because we don't have Tivo in Canada.

I compiled it myself because the only place that has RPMs of it (that I
know of) is atrpms.net and I had some trouble installing them. I took a
few notes when I did my install so I know what I'll need to do next time
I install it.

Here's a list of the packages I needed to install over the default
Workstation install packages:

qt-devel
perl-DBI
mysql
perl-DBD-MySQL
mysql-server
qt-MySQL
lame
lame-devel

lame and lame-devel comes from atrpms.net

Also there's a patch you need to use to compile MythTV 0.18.1 in FC4
with gcc4. I took the patch in the atrpms.net SRPMS package for MythTV
and it compiled fine with it. It's the cvsfixes patch. Email me offlist
if you want and I'll send you the patch.

Other than that just follow the steps in the MythTV installation guide
and you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps!

--
Jean-Rene Cormier <jrc at jrcormier.com>