WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 13 17:44:03 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> I wonder what security issues I have on my machine? There are
> only three users defined for my machine who can actually log in,
> to wit: root, jmccarty, and jjenning (a fellow I'm doing some
> contract work for). None of the passwords for any of those users
> is a word in any language. The paswords are 10 charactes long.
> I have ADSL connections, with a D-Link wireless router between
> my box and the ADSL modem. I have disabled the wireless part
> of the router, and removed its antenna. Only the one machine
> is actually connected to the router. I use Mozilla (cookies disabled,
> java disabled) and Thunderbird (use server connections).
>
> So, what is my "vulnerability"?
>
> This is a serious question.

Are you running iptables?
Do you have a firewall?

I think you under-estimate the ingenuity of computer science students,
many (most?) of whom had unhappy childhoods
and are trying to get back at their parents through you.

I agree with you about selinux. I'd like to install it,
but at the moment that just causes too many problems.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366