My friend cannot install fedora 4 from HDD, help needed

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 13 18:01:34 UTC 2005

Yuan Yijun wrote:

> My friend Storm Lee encountered some install related problem in moving
> to fedora core 4. Would anyone please help him out? Here is some of
> the log in different consoles, I just forward his letter here. Thanks!
>

> =============
>
> during hardware testing, report ide error
> "cache flushes not supported"
> dma error .no response
> wait a moment, fedora installer start
> when choose the install source , I put the iso on d:\fc4 ,so I chose hda5.
>
> the out of character interface is :
>
> mntloop loop7 on /tmp/loopimage as /tmp/hdimage/fc4/FC4-i386-disc1.iso fd
> is 1 2
> mntloop loop0 on /tmp/runtime as /tmp/loopimage//Fedora/base/hdstg2.img fd
> is 12
> failed  to mount loop0:invalid argument
> umount loopback /tmp/runtime loop0
>
> Here, i think, hdstg2.img can't be found .but disc1.iso is already mounted
> why hdstg2.img ?

I don't know about others, but it is not clear to me what your friend did.

Did he transfer all the ISOs (CDs) to the folder fc4 on Windows disk D: ?
Then what did he do?

Also I didn't understand "I put the iso on d:\fc4 ,so I chose hda5".
How exactly did he choose hda5?

I'd suggest you ask your friend to say exactly what he did.
Or maybe someone else will understand better then me.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366