unable to login ctrl+alt+f1-f6 consoles on FC4

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Jul 13 19:35:06 UTC 2005

Hello, I am unable to login to the ctrl+alt+f1-f6 consoles.  When I login,
it takes me right back to the login prompt immediately.  When I login 10
times or so real fast, it eventually gives this error:

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
Kernel 2.6.11 on an i686

awilliam login: root
Password:

Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Luckily, I have an X session going, so I can still access the server.  I
can also ssh in fine, its just console logins that do not work.  I did a
google search, and this is a PAM error, but I wasn't able to find a fix.
I am not using NIS or LDAP, just pam to login to the console.

Also, when I try and login, this is printed in /var/log/messages.

Jul 13 14:30:01 awilliam crond(pam_unix)[1194]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jul 13 14:30:01 awilliam pam_loginuid[1194]: set_loginuid failed opening loginuid
Jul 13 14:30:01 awilliam pam_loginuid[1194]: set_loginuid failed
Jul 13 14:30:01 awilliam crond[1194]: Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session
Jul 13 14:30:01 awilliam crond(pam_unix)[1194]: session closed for user root

Below are my /etc/pam.d/login and /etc/pwdb.conf

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_securetty.so
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
# pam_selinux.so close should be the first session rule
session    required     pam_selinux.so close
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so
session    optional     pam_console.so
# pam_selinux.so open should be the last session rule
session    required     pam_selinux.so multiple open

#
# This is the configuration file for the pwdb library
#

user:
        unix+shadow
        nis+unix+shadow