RAID1 Grub Boot problem FC3

Alex @ Avantel Systems ahv at avantel.ca
Wed Jul 13 13:07:43 UTC 2005

I have not been able to boot my system since a raid disk problem was fixed.
When booting the system, I end up in a grub shell and can then manually tell
grub where to find the kernel and initrd and then it will boot.  However,
none of the methods described in the various Howtos will get the full boot
process going again.  Is there some special trick I'm missing?  Here's more
detail;

I have raid configured like this;

hda
/dev/hda1       200M    type fd (Linux Raid) (bootable)
/dev/hda2       70G             type fd ( " )
/dev/hda3       1G              type 82 (swap)

hdc
/dev/hdc1       200M    type fd (bootable)
/dev/hdc2       70G             type fd
/dev/hdc3       1G              type 82

/dev/md1        hda1 & hdc1     /boot
/dev/md0        hda2 & hdc2     /

I used the grub, raid, boot howto to set up the bootable 2nd disk.

grub>   device (hd0) /dev/hda
grub>   root (hd0,0)
grub>   setup (hd0)
grub>   device (hd1) /dev/hdc
grub>   root (hd1,0)
grub>   setup (hd1)

All without any error messages (but makes no apparent difference to the boot
process)

My grub.conf file has this;

default=0
fallback=1
timeout=5
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.14_FC3)
        splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img
title Fallback Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.14_FC3)
        splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb quiet
        initrd (hd1,0)/initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img

But when I try to boot the system, I get dumped into a grub shell. If I then
type in the "kernel" and "initrd" lines above and then type "boot", the
system boots OK.

Linux Rescue detects the install with no problem and mounts it
to /mnt/sysimage, and then the RAID arrays are also fine.

This all worked fine after the initial install but started behaving this way
after a disk replacement using mdadm.

Any help appreciated . . . TIA

Alex
====

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.