Dial-in server with FC

Travis Fraser travis at snowpatch.net
Wed Jul 13 21:08:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 19:57 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> > So unless someone has a good idea how to get the modem in either of
> > these boxes to talk with Linux I'm planning on rebooting the FC3 box
> > into Windows and setting it up there.  Less reliable I know but I know
> > it can talk to the modem.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > BTW, as a reference I saw that a modem like the Intel one sells for $12
> > with Windows drivers & extra goodies.
>
> Just grab a 3Com U.S Robotics 56K one off of ebay.

I missed the beginning of this thread, but I had my FC1 box setup as a
dial-in server with a 3Com hardware modem. You will not see any great
speeds though (around 22k IIRC), as an ordinary modem cannot operate at
anywhere near 56k when dialing *into* it. It takes special equipment
that an isp would have. I remember finding something on this in the
modem howto on TLDP.

Travis Fraser