RPM newbie: howto install mplayer under fc4?

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Wed Jul 13 21:55:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:50:29 +0200, Gábor Iglói wrote:

>> With yum you would do:
>>
>> yum install mplayer
>
> Thx, this works. And is there a way to browse available packages for
> Fedora? As I see I need to know about some unofficial repos like livna
> if I'd like to yum up all of my favourite Linux softwares... (Skype,
> RealPlayer, mplayerplug-in, streamtuner, LimeWire).

Yes, there's a way:

yum list
yum list package
yum list | grep package

If you want to see info about a package

yum info package

This last one is the equivalent of

apt-cache show package

Everybody wants those packages, but they can't be released under fedora,
because of licensing. I'd be surprised if other distributions offered them.